Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday: Trials and Tribulations

They say babies have Terrible Twos...well, friends, I have Terrible Tuesdays. Today was quite honestly, one of the more hellish days I have had in quite a while. I think we can agree, I've certainly had my fair share in the last month!

This morning starts off with unexpected feminine issues. Now, seriously, I don't pay for those little color coded anti-baby pills so that I can have "unexpected", and even more annoyingly, EARLY issues...which, mind you, required a trip to CVS mid-morning to keep things under control. Why, you ask? Good question! And if you find out, let me know. Granted, my life hasn't been exactly uneventful in the past two months and last month wasn't fun with respect to this department either, but mother of goodness, I don't need an extra week of this fabulousness we call being female.

Next, it has been my New Year's Resolution to not attend our weekly lab meeting. It started off as somewhat of a joke, but now I have gotten in the habit of not bothering to attend. I have made one all year, only because I was doing Social Committee things relating to that particular meeting. Unfortunately for me, and my support scientist, today was not the day to skip the meeting. Mike got the wrath of Khan, or Doug, in this case, about not being present for the meetings. And shortly following the wrath of Doug, I was nailed with the wrath of Mike. If you know my working relationship with Mike, you know that you just don't want to deal with the wrath of Mike. Guess I'm going to have to get back into a somewhat regular habit of enjoying that wonderous 30 minutes every Tuesday morning. Ugh.

Let's see...stupidly, we decided to eat outside for lunch. It was, to quote Roxy on Army Wives, "hotter than the hinges of hell". Not as hot as it could have been, as we were in the shade and there was an ever-so-slight breeze, but still darn hot. I lasted about 15 minutes; enough time to shovel in the ravioli and get back into the AC. I hate summer and the humidity and heat! You can always add clothing for warmth, but only so much can come off to assist in the cooling process.

And then we hit rock bottom, which included the wrath coming full circle from the boss to the low man on the totem pole...me. I was asked if I could complete a certain task this week in a manner that was more of a demand than a request. Fantastic. I love being told that I MUST do something yesterday. To add insult to injury, he also sends an email about my Social Committee reorganization meeting and how the Awards Committee should be included on planning. I kindly replied that the Awards Comm. chair and I already chatted and discussed this very point, to which he replied a curt "So I heard...". As if I made the fatal error of discussing something he was thinking up all himself at that very moment. Pfft.

Alas, I spent the better part of the afternoon in quite a tizzy, but must give credit to my awesome friends, the 3 M's - Matt, Michelle, and Monica, for treating me to a nice strawberry Rita's ice. That, if nothing else, saved my afternoon and my sanity. Additionally, I must thank the weather for cooperating and storming right when I wanted it to, in order to knock down the humidity and temperature long enough for me to get in my two mile run. Of course, I ran a good 2/3 of that in a pretty steady rain, but beggers can't be choosy.

Well, friends, this concludes another adventure in the life of (sometimes not so) Happy Girl. Join us next time, for what hopes to be a much more pleasant day at the USDA.

1 comment:

Mary and Larry Smerk said...

OH my. I hope you are feeling better.