Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Slacky McSlackerson

At least I forewarned everyone that I would be terrible at this blogging thing. Alas, I feel guilty for not giving you something to ponder in almost an entire week. It is late, however, so this may be short.

Today was a boring day at work. So boring, in fact, that my coworkers bailed at 2:30 and left me all alone for 2 and a half hours! Alone is perfectly ok, as I can meander around the lab at my own leisure and not worry about "looking" busy when clearly, I am not. It also allows me to wander the halls and whatnot, like only I can enjoy.

Lunch, on the other hand, was fabulous. We finally made it to Friscos; I had been intensely craving Friscos after many of my RIID counterparts went on Monday (which coincidentally, was the day Leah and her coworkers also visited). I got the usual Twin Peaks, although felt it was slightly smaller than the last time I was there (in January when Mary and Larry visited). My mistake, though, was allowing my will to succumb to the Way Cool Ice Cream. I could not resist a fresh twist cone. Mmm. But, it was way too big (the regular is huge) and after all the cheese on the potato, my body was not happy with more milk products. Regardless, WAY worth it.

My weekend was wonderful, which I think has helped the week seem less awful. Saturday, I joined 7 of my RIID counterparts and/or spouses at the wine festival. Much fun was had playing dinosaurs with the son of one post-doc and trying to prevent him from rolling on all of the snacks we brought to munch on while absorbing wine. This month's Jazz event was far less crowded than last month's Caribbean festival and consequently, allowed for a pleasant drinking experience. The weather was also fabulous and I was able to wear my newest fabulous sundress. A smaller group of us ventured to Cacique for dinner, where I finally branched out to the Spanish menu and enjoyed a Tilapia dish. All things considering, it was a most wonderful day.

Sunday was my first soccer game in three weeks. We were slated to play a competitive division team (our team is intermediate, but as that division has gotten more competitive, we are somewhat bruised and beaten in the ranks). Saturday, a friend was asking how soccer went and I candidly offered that we hadn't won a game all session (save the two wins by forfeit, although the ensuing games still resulted in losses) and giving the team we were schedule to play Sunday, we'd end the session winless as well. Much to my surprises, we won. The other team did not show. We only had 4 players of our own, but two from a team we will be merging with in the fall. A few competitive players were there for board duty or early for their game, so we played a 4 competitive vs 6 intermediate (us) game with Em's husband, John playing in our goal. We had to shoot on cones in the goal, but only received points if we shot outside the cones placed about 2 feet inside the goal posts...super hard! At the end of a very well played game, and all things considering, we were victorious, 4-3. Imagine how fun it was to tell that friend today that we did, in fact, win our game!

Finally, I drove to PA Sunday evening to have a small birthday celebration for my father. His birthday is actually tomorrow, the 26th, but due to the upcoming crazy weekend planning, I was unsure if I would make it home. His birthday present had come Saturday and I was very excited to share what I found. Dad grew up on Cloverland Dairy Farms that his father managed in Ohio, PA and in Baltimore. On Ebay, I found these burlap cups, encased in plastic, that were promotional containers for cream cheese from the Baltimore dairies in probably the 50s. One lid still has the original label stating it was Cloverland's Baltimore dairy. I try to keep an eye out for rare collectibles from Cloverland for the growing collection at home, that includes a milk box and several milk bottles. With the cups and a bottle of wine from the festival, I was all set to give Dad a sweet surprise. Imagine my disappointment when I mention to my mother that I was excited for Dad to get his present and she says something about whether or not I could pull him away from her present. What did my mother get my father for his birthday, you ask? A tractor. That's what. I cannot compete with a tractor. Alas, the luster and joy of my present was quickly forgotten as the child in my father couldn't wait to show me his newest toy and how he rearranged the barn so it could fit inside away from the elements. At least he did say that he had never seen the cups before and thought they'd be good to set up pudding.

Well, friends, it's that time. Happy Birthday, today, to my high school best friend, Becki. It has been almost an entire year since we spoke, so I hope maybe we can reconnect soon. And tomorrow, birthday wishes to my father, my mom's oldest sister - Aunt Florence (yep girls, I really DO have an Aunt Flo), and my bestest bestest, Susannah. Until next time...

4 comments:

Mary and Larry Smerk said...

I love how you said the entry was going to be short, but ended up being one of your longer ones. Also, you had to mention Friscos didn't you, not only that, but you discribed what you had...knife in heart.

Melissa said...

You know, I thought almost that same thing after I posted it and realized how long it ended up being. Oops...guess when I get rolling, I lose track of words.

I did mention Friscos, I'm sorry. I heard the bragging around here and was too jealous, so I had to go. If I could package it up and send it to you, I would! Besides, Friscos always makes me think of you guys, since you introduced me to it!

Mary and Larry Smerk said...

Well, I guess if it makes you think of us then it is worth mentioning. :) Oh how i do miss the Trans Am... bacon!

Leah said...

Heh, I won't tell you what I got at Frisco's on Monday, then...