Monday, June 30, 2008

Nightly Rituals

Every night at 11pm, 98 Rock (Baltimore) has Mandatory Metallica. Every night at 11pm, Rascal and I put on the radio and rock out. This nightly tradition is a long-standing ritual of mine, as 105.7 the X and 98 Rock have both had Mandatory Metallica nightly for years. There was a time when Mandatory Metallica was at 9pm and incredibly difficult to regularly enjoy. The 11pm start time is fabulous for a night owl such as myself and a large part of my winding down process.

Back when I was 13 or so, Becki introduced me to Metallica (or reintroduced as my half-brother listened to them when I was much younger). She liked to listen to the Black Album before bed and subsquently, I began to do the same after many overnights at her house during the summertime. Strangely, my night is not complete without a three-song set of Metallica before bed.

Recently, my shower radio died. I did a little surgery and was able to repair the electronics and new batteries finished the job. Unfortunately, my repair skills are largely amateur, at best, and I have a very limited range of stations compared to the previously functional shower radio. One of my greatest losses is the loss of 98 Rock in the shower. This is disheartening for a night like tonight when I have yet to shower, but must listen to Mandatory Metallica before bed.

Anyway, friends, I realize this is an aimless rambling about a relatively inane part of my life, but I wanted to post something and was at a loss for anything substantial. Hopefully, this week will serve as inspiration for something new and exciting!

3 comments:

Leah said...

It's not aimless. It will cause many people to wonder how it is, exactly, that a guinea pig "rocks out."

Ken said...

I wondered that myself. Also, this post made me laugh because Metallica reminds me of my Spanish brother Paco Pepe who loved Metallica possibly more than you do. When he got a Metallica ringtone on his cell phone, he came running into the house screaming "Tareen, Tareen! Metaleeka! Metaleeka!"

Melissa said...

You wonder how a guinea pig rocks out? Well, depending on what song happens to come on the radio, he will incessantly squeak and "popcorn" (a weird little bounce thing pigs do around in circles) across the floor. Sometimes, he even tries to squeal along with the guitar riffs. It is truly a unique experience that few have witnessed. Of course, if I try to get him to do it for demonstration purposes, he crawls behind his blanket and hides.