Monday, October 4, 2010

Goodnight, my sweet prince

In a very ironic sort of way, it's rather funny that my last post (some 2 years ago) was about Rascal and now, in this new post, Rascal will also be the topic.

Rascal passed away this evening - October 3 - around 9:30pm. Earlier today, he seemed fine and we went about what had become our new routine of morning feeding and some snacks before I left for Oktoberfest. Mind you, I have come down with one of the many colds going around and probably should have stayed home. When I returned, he was in his igloo, but that isn't entirely unusual. I got him out to play with Callie a bit while I ate, and then put him back in his house while I took a nap. When I awakened, it was pretty evident the end was near. Rascal was pretty listless and didn't want to be moved. I was torn whether to stay at home and wait for the end or go ahead and play in my soccer game, figuring he'd probably pass while I was gone.

Soccer turned out to be a horrible decision, both on the account that I played terribly thanks to the cold and all the while, wondering if I was missing the last few minutes of Rascal's life. After the game (which we did win, 4-3), I got home as safely as I could since it was, once again, raining. Upon my arrival, I was shocked to find Rascal still alive, but incredibly disheartened to find him on his last leg (quite literally). I called my mother and cried along with her as I held my little boy through his last breaths in this life. Callie sat beside us as the end came to pass and kept by my legs even as I continued to hold the little lifeless body that now best resembled a tiny little toy.

Rascal had one last trip to NanaMama and Pops' house tonight, rocking to Foo Fighters all the way. Tomorrow morning, Pops and I will decide on his final resting place and close the cover on what was a beautiful, almost 5 year, love affair with a rodent.

No comments: