Thursday, August 28, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

When the prospect of rain became a very likely reality this week, I was quite excited. It had been a while since we had a rainy day and beyond the benefit to nature, rain seemed like a good change of pace from the inevitable sunshine of this August. Much to my dismay, the rain seems to have brought out the best in people. Many people seem to have awakened to the rain and subsequently, climbed out on the wrong side of the bed when they began their day. In all honesty, the bad attitude bug has bitten me as well, but I also felt rather horribly yesterday evening and went to bed at 8pm. Not that I should be giving myself any excuses to behave like a rude, indignant person, but feeling crappy never makes one cheerful. There were just far too many instances this morning of seeming crankiness from one too many people and I decided to play it safe and find some office-based work to do for the course of my day. This idea has proved itself a good one, as my mood is much improved from the morning and I have had to interact with very few passerby.

Prior to today's unfortunate weather-related melancholy, it hadn't been a terribly awful week. Last Friday was particularly crummy, but some time away from work through the weekend allowed some personal rejuvenation and a much higher productivity than I thought possible. I had a weekend off from soccer and spent some time with my parents. Mom and I did some back-to-school shopping, which consisted only of two binders, one pack of paper, and a planner. Being that both my courses are online this semester, it seemed like a good idea to have a calendar-based organizational device (hence, the planner) in which to keep track of my assignments and whatnot that I will need to be self-motivating in order to complete on time. This could prove to be rather interesting. But, I digress...

Back to this week...Monday morning, I was refreshed and ready to start the week anew and on a good note. Shortly into the morning, I ran into a close friend who had suffered quite a nasty spill while cycling on Sunday. This quickly wiped out any optimism I had. Note to self: road bikes do not like gravel. He suffered some pretty severe road burns all down his right side, did something to his shoulder, and worst of all, had a pretty nasty bump on his head (even with a helmet). Seeing some of those scrapes and bruises, my body was in pain, too! Given the obvious nature of the injuries, I had to forgo my first instinct to offer a hug. I was pretty sure the physical pain was going to far outweigh the emotional benefit. Since I felt so strongly about wanting to make him feel better, I decided it would be a perfectly good excuse to make chocolate chip cookies. My chocolate chip cookie recipe is one of my most favorite comfort foods in the entire world and I thought he would appreciate them as well (besides, I hadn't had any complaints with other food items shared in the past month!). Additionally, I also got a few other little goodies - Aleve, gummy bears, bandaids - and with the cookies and a one-use bottle of Southern Comfort, put together quite a sweet little care package. I gave it to him Tuesday morning and give his reaction, you might think no one has ever done anything nice for him! Putting a smile on someone's face is the best feeling in the world!

Well, friends, it is now Saturday and I wrote this blog two days ago. Chances are if I continue blogging about the week, it'll just depress you even further and it may never be finished. With that, I am going to go ahead and post this and start something new while I wait for my tubes to dry down. Yes, I'm at work on a Saturday. Go ahead, call me lame.

No comments: