Thursday, August 7, 2008

Careers in Science

As each day wears on, I am finding it increasingly difficult to maintain composure about certain situations around the workplace and the utter ignorance of seemingly normal people. In the general public, there are many misconceptions about scientific careers and related industries (regulatory compliance, for instance..Leah has great stories), but I realize that an uneducated (scientific) perspective is one that can be easily misinformed or misled to believe things that are just not true. The trouble that I have these days is accepting that people who come from a somewhat similar background in the sciences can be so naive and self-serving regarding every day laboratory life. When I chose to major in chemistry, I did so knowing full well that there are risks involved with a career in science. In saying this, I want to make it clear that I use the word "risk" in the loosest possible sense.

Science is a completely fulfilling and rewarding career, from the earliest points of discovery to the end of changing life for the better. As with any job, really, there are hazards that occur in and around the laboratory that you are fully made aware of from day one. One of the first lessons in any laboratory course is how to properly protect yourself from the dangers of chemicals, fire, glassware...I could go on and on. But, you are certainly not able to execute any experiments in the lab without protecting yourself from (sometimes imminent) accidents. I can't even imagine Dr. Sauder, in those first weeks of gen chem...heck, the entire year...missing an opportunity to better equip her future scientists in practices that would be beneficial throughout their careers. Laboratory accidents and exposures are inevitable, but it is truly up to the individual to take the time to minimize these risks.

I would be lying outright if I say that I follow every procedure known to man to protect myself at my job. Much of the "what we're supposed to do" is just ridiculous and makes no practical sense. Although, in choosing to loosely interpret the rules for myself, I am fully aware that I increase my chance of chemical exposure or other laboratory accidents that could happen. Safety glasses are ugly, but when I need to wear them, I do. Lab coats are heavy and rather restraining, but when I need to wear them, I do. If for some reason, glass is flying across the lab, I get the heck out! When I chose this career, I took into account everything that goes along with it and accepted, wholeheartedly, that I might use chemicals that are known to cause cancer or birth defects or respiratory issues. That's something I'm willing to chance in order to better the future. What many people don't realize is that there are far worse things under my sink that I use to clean my apartment (and we all know I do that far too regularly). Chemicals are a part of life!

Well, friends, I feel it is time to step off the soap box and do some science. I am about to put a gel into ethidium bromide stain. In doing so, I run a risk of exposure to a chemical that is known to insert itself in between DNA base pairs and possibly render any future DNA replication awry. Not to mention, my kids might have three arms and two heads. But, I'll put on my good lab shoes, and some gloves, and make sure that I am careful when I put that gel into the stain and chances are, there won't be any problems at all.

No comments: